Saturday, January 30, 2010

Fun and games on the Dubai Metro

Now ‘sailing’ across the Dubai Creek is very easy: Just get on an Abra, which is a flat bottomed, open sided water taxi, pay the ‘captain 1 Dirham, squeeze yourself in amongst the locals and enjoy the waterfronts of Bur Dubai and Deira.

I thought that the recently opened Dubai Metro was going to be almost as much fun and that turned out to be true too, but in a slightly different way.



The Metro stations are immaculate, direction signs are and fares are cheap. The trains are driverless so on my first two journeys I got in the front carriage to enjoy a head on view of the track and the city.

Unfortunately I began to take my front row ‘seat’ for granted and came unstuck today. Here’s what happened… I walk in the front carriage, head for the window and begin sight seeing. A smartly uniformed lady then says hello to me. “That’s good,” I thought, “they occasionally have staff on board to help people out.” She asked me for my ticket and told me that I was in Gold Class!

Gold Class? Yes, before being politely ejected, I noticed leather seats and carpeted floors although there were still people standing. Madam kindly asked me to join the masses further back so I headed into the next carriage and got lots of stares. How come? You guessed it, I was in the ladies carriage! Ooo errr missus, that’ll teach me to take more notice of the signs.

I think I’ll sit in the middle from now on…

No comments: